When I rebuilt the garden earlier in the year I kind of futzed out when it was time to make the gate. The result, an all you can eat buffet for the local critters. Long story short our garden needed a gate.
I started by grabbing some pressure treated 2x4s and a pressure treated 1×6 that was left over from rebuilding the fence around the garden. I cut the boards to the lengths that I wanted and then re-sawed the 2x4s into pieces that matched the thickness of the 1x6s.
At this point I played with the pieces a little bit and arranged them into a pattern that I liked. I then used some re-saved pieces to create a classic “Z” shape and used power shot screws to put it all together into a panel.
Then, after trimming off the excess parts of the “Z” so that they were flush with the panel Brooke drew a curved line across the top of the panel. The goal here was to simply add a slight decorative element to the garden gate. Once she had a shaping that she liked she cut it out using the jig saw.
At this point we brought the gate out to the garden and held it up into the opening. It wasn’t quite wide enough so we added another piece along the side which would also give a good base to mount the hinges on.
After we had the rough fit correct we went over the whole thing with a 150 sand paper to just remove any splintered edges or sharp spots.
Since the wood was pressure treated and it was more of a utility project than a decorative project we opted to not apply finish. At this point we moved to hanging the gate.
The hanging was relatively simple, we just used two cheap outdoor hinges and had it up in no time.
And just like that we had a nice new garden gate.