Welding a Rose, Or is it Belle-ding?

Halloween is coming up and I wanted a rose to go with my costume. I could buy a rose, but that really isn’t how we do things here. So I welded myself a rose.

Happy Halloween Everyone 🙂

Play Video
Want to try it yourself?  Order a rose kit here: Order Your Kit Today!

 

For the base for my rose, I used a rose kit from our friend Richard at 42 Fab, which he cut on his CNC plasma cutter. 

First, I separated all my pieces and clamped the sheet down to a table. Next, I used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel. I realized I was able to bend the pieces back and forth to separate them by hand. 

After I clamped each piece down, I used the same side of the cutting wheel to sand sharp nubs left behind from the tabs.

After I had all my pieces ready, I began the assembly.

First, to secure my two pieces I used a series of tack welds, which did not need to be pretty because they wouldn’t be visible once the flower was built. 

Next, I used my torch to heat the first petal until it glowed. Then, I used a plier to bend the petal upwards. Because the thin steel didn’t hold heat for long, I clamped the torch directly to the table so I could easily pop it in and out of the flame. 

Next, I took each gradually bigger petal piece and slid it on the steel. Then, I welded each piece and bent it similar to how I did before. 

The shaping of the petals was the most time consuming. A larger heat source would have sped up the process, but the mapp gas torch was sufficient. 

To make each petal look more life-like, I roughly placed each petal in an overlapping pattern. Then, I went around a second time to ruffle the edges. 

To ensure the finished rose would not be short and stout, I welded the last piece with a half-inch gap between the base of the existing flowers and the last piece. 

I took the most care shaping the very last layer of petals because they would be the most visible. I was also careful with the placement of the first leaf piece so it would mask the seams between the outer layer of petals. 

Then, I played with the positions of the final two leaf pieces and welded them into place. I didn’t feel the need to finish the final pieces because roses naturally have somewhat angular leaves. 

Lastly, while still wearing a glove, I used a brush to remove the slag from the rose. 

Overall, I was really happy with how the rose turned out. 

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on pinterest
Share on whatsapp

More Great Projects!

Responses