First, I needed to turn the basket into some usable materials. I got rid of the top, and then I cut the basket into a bunch of tiny pieces using our reciprocating saw. And then I had usable material.
Next, I sprayed the silicone molds with silicone mold release. Then I dropped my material into each mold and mixed up my Art Resin epoxy, making sure to stir it for three minutes. After that, I poured the resin into the molds, just deep enough to barely cover all of the material.
After about 24 hours, it was ready to unmold. The next step was to cut into some of them, make a couple of slices, and see what the different angles looked like so that we could decide what we wanted to do going forward.
I trimmed down the pieces and then I just laid them out to get an idea of what we could do with the pattern. I decided to lay the pieces out into the square mold and then recast them into a solid block in this orientation.
Next, I flattened off the top, because there was some unevenness to the surface. Then I put it in the X-carve and turned it into a dish after programming a basic dish design into Easel.
After it was done carving, I neatened it up with some sandpaper, the belt sander, and by hand. Then we gave it a final brushing of resin to give it a high-gloss polish.
The Final Result
Overall, I’d say this project was a success! It would make a great little dish for a dresser or an entryway table. It’s always a win when I can repurpose something old as material.